The Lockenessmonsters

'Cause I don't like mass emails.

Monday, November 20, 2006

New Friends and New Furniture


Fun fact: Searcy had 1,300 people per square mile. Oak Park has 10,000. (If I've done my math right). It makes sense when you think about the fact that most people live 2 or 3 stories up and few have front yards.

In other news, yesterday after church an older couple that we've known nearly since we got to Vineyard took us out to lunch. We went to Panera. They're very sweet. Byron grew up as an m.k. in what is now the Congo. Carol grew up in New York - Staton Island, maybe? They've been married for 40 somethin' and are so cute!

Also at church, one of the guys in our small group was telling David about how when they got married, they both had a house full of furniture, so his stuff went to the basement. And then he said, "Do you guys need any furniture?" I interrupted David with "We just have a bed!" A bit of an over-statement I realize, but just a bit. So, we now have a really nice kitchen table and chairs, a bedside table, a dresser, and some other things. The dresser we're gonna have to figure out how to get here though. Bodacious!

I realized at church yesterday, just looking around, that I recognized someone any direction I looked! That is such a good feeling!

Yesterday was what they call a "baptism Sunday." It works a little different here. Instead of being baptized one at a time, a day is set aside every few months, and it's a group thing. Anyway, it was very exciting. 7 people!

Friday's lunch with Laura was simply splendid. We went out for Italian and sat there talking for a good hour I bet. She's the woman I'm closest to around here so far. She dropped me off at Village Hall afterward so I could get a license for the car - parking's a major problem in town, so they're strict about such things. And the baby shower in the evening was also a blast. I had a lot of fun and I feel like I'm really making some friends. I also learned a lot of fascinating gross things.

My job today is to get all this furniture into place and go get David some more milk. He's practically a calf. I think I'll also call PADS. I still haven't heard anything.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congrats on the new furniture!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home