The Lockenessmonsters

'Cause I don't like mass emails.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Quiche Recipe

This is a picture from a friend's wedding. Funny, method worked for me, too!

I just walked in deep snow for the first time. Holy cow. I'd only walked one block before I was breathing hard. It's unreal. Reminds of walking in 2 feet of water.

Ok, so Mom wants my quiche recipe. (picture in previous post) So here it is, straight from America's Test Kitchen:

Quiche Lorraine

pie shell: 1 1/4 c flour, 1 tbs. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. shortening, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
4 tbs. butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces and chilled
4-6 tbs. ice water

Process the flour, sugar, and salt. Process in shortening until it looks like coarse sand.
Pulse in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbles.
Transfer to bowl. Add 4 tbs. water and stir until dough comes together.
Form into 4 inch disk, wrap in plastic wrap, chill at least one hour.
Roll and put in pie pan (I think it may fit just in the bottom of a 9x13). Freeze 30 min.
Line the chilled crust with foil, covering the edges too.
Fill with pie weights (beans, pennies).
375 for 25-30 min. It should look dry and light in color.
Remove the foil and weights.

custard: 4 ounces bacon (4 slices), chopped while still raw
1 small onion, chopped
5 large eggs
1 c whole milk
1 c heavy cream
1 tsp minced fresh thyme (yeah, gotta use fresh - mmmm)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
4 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded (1 c)

Fry the bacon in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat until crisp.
Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and pour off all but 2 tsp of the grease.
Add the onion and cook on medium until lightly browned. Toss with bacon and set aside.
Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, thyme, pepper, and salt.
Sprinkle the cheese and then the bacon mixture on the bottom of the still-warm pie shell.
Put the shell in the oven and pour egg mixture in until it's 1/2 inch from the top.
(I totally filled mine - it was fine. And leftovers are decent scrambled eggs.)
Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes.
The top should be light brown and a knife inserted 1 inch from the edge should come out
clean.
Cool on a baking rack.

Do all the chopping, shredding, etc before ever putting the shell in the oven or you won't be able to put the custard in while the shell's warm.
Leftover thyme can be measured into ice cube trays, covered in water, and frozen for later.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Cute picture... I'm still working on it. Haha! Oh yeah, I saw Michael and Julie Sunday at Handley. They are both doing well.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home