Sweet Naivety

Journal excerpt. Sept.7
"God! I want my baby back! God, I’d hold her in my hands the next 8 months just to let her finish growing here. If I knew I wouldn’t be able to pick her back up, I’d never ever put her down. I’d do anything to keep her. Even just for another day, just so I had a chance to say good-bye before I have to wait until I die to have her again. God, anything."
Three little weeks and the universe shifts.
In the span of three weeks, I became a mother and became a childless mother. How does that happen?
I am left appearing as a young newlywed enjoying my years of "freedom" before settling down to raise a family. I must seem rather care-free, taking life as it comes. I probably look like one of the stereotypical fresh-out-of-college naive types.
I'm not naive.
But I, at one time, was naive about the idea that babies get to live. I thought that with few exceptions, mothers got to keep their babies. I'd heard horror stories. But I never thought I'd live one. Not my baby. Surely not mine. That's something that happens to other women. That's the kind of thing you hear about in church announcements and read in magazine articles. That doesn't happen to real people.
But then it happened. I lost a close family member before birth. And then I lost my own daughter. How does that happen? And why?
Why can't all mothers and mothers-to-be stay naive? People say "parents shouldn't outlive their children." Do they know how many DO? I'm not going to hunt for figures right now, but it's something like 1 out of 4 babies conceived that doesn't live. Voluntarily have 4 children and you may "volunteer" to lose one. One in four. Am I the only mama bothered by this?
I wouldn't trade out those 3 weeks of having my child for anything. But how I wish I was naive again.
Labels: Miscarriage

4 Comments:
At 8:55 AM ,
Anonymous said...
I wish I could support you! I can only pray though! Keep on praying, Miracles happen.
Your Friend,
Zoe.
At 7:32 AM ,
Jason said...
Thanks for being willing to share from the depths of your heart. I wish you didn't have to 'try' to understand such things. Love you -- Nicole
At 7:59 PM ,
Anonymous said...
It's interesting that you have that photo of the dandelion seeds for this entry. My sister had two miscarriages, and she and her husband each got two dandelion seeds tattooed on them in memory.
I'm very sorry for your loss.
- mdc mama
At 2:55 PM ,
Ryan Woods said...
Our prayers continue to be with you.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home