The Lockenessmonsters

'Cause I don't like mass emails.

Monday, April 07, 2008

Gonna Adopt

We've decided to adopt - certain enough that we're actually going to move to meet the DCFS requirement to have a second bedroom. Our lease is up at the end of June.

Get this: About 2 weeks ago, it dawned on me, "Hey! My feet don't hurt!" They hadn't (much) for days and I could walk. That day I cleaned up the house for the first time in nearly 4 months.

And about 6 hours after it dawned on me that my feet didn't hurt, we realized we'd need to move in 12 weeks. I'm gonna need my feet working to get the house packed up. Beautiful timing. Raise the roof, God! Whadda ya bet he had this planned somehow?

Anyway, we're looking to go from our 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom and not have a higher rent. Looks very possible. We're already looking for a place.

As to the adopting, we plan to aim for a baby 12 months old or younger. We do have it narrowed down to 3 countries - we'll let you know as soon as we actually decide. I'm about bursting to tell. We'll also have our agency list that short by the end of the week.

In all likelihood, we can't start papers until we move because it'd be so hard to start and then have to change our address on everything. We'll move the last Saturday in June. (I'm gonna start counting down before long!)

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get the budget ready. Adopting itself is expensive, plus we'd like to go ahead and start living like we already have the baby with us (not a prob as we'd planned to do that starting in August anyway). Somewhat amusingly, we decided this weekend to just scrap the budget we had for the last 6 months and start over. We're not even tallying monthly expenditures. Just a full-scale reboot. My medical bills have been outrageous since December - 4 ER visits(or was it 5?), 2 by ambulance, and 3 hospital nights among other things. Really, how do you budget that in anyway?

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 11:07 AM , Blogger Ryan Woods said...

    My sister's court date for adopting their beautiful little boy Malak from Ethiopia is on Wednesday. So it's very possible that they'll be flying to go get their son within a week or two.
    Adoption is such a beautiful thing, I am very excited for you and will keep you in my prayers.
    I don't know what agencies you're looking at, but Gladney has treated my sister very well.

     
  • At 12:09 PM , Blogger Holly and David said...

    Fascinating Ryan! Thanks for the info. Best wishes to your sis and Malak.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home