The Lockenessmonsters

'Cause I don't like mass emails.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mother's Day


Mother's Day was intense. I'd been very worried that it would come and go and I wouldn't get cards. But 3 people sent me one, besides the 2 David got me - one from him, and one from our babies. The card from Eden and Judah made me cry, but that's all the crying I did all day. It was a very heavy day. David went out of his way to honor me though. He got me a corsage (pict.s on Flickr) and took me to the conservatory.

Speaking of corsages, I saw a single other woman all day wearing one. Seemed odd to me. And here's a funny: A woman at the conservatory saw it and stopped to congratulate me. She then pointed at David questioningly, and when I nodded, she congratulated him too. It was so sweet of her! There's great value in getting a "congratulations" from a woman 3 times my age. I surely like them from us spring chickens too, but she made me feel special. Many extra thanks to the anonymous stranger.

There are pictures from the conservatory on Flickr. Wouldn't you know it, but my batteries died while we were there. The conservatory turned out to be the perfect place to celebrate Mother's Day. This is a place where all life is unique and valuable. There was so much beauty there.

I find myself, just since Mother's Day, feeling very different. There's been a great but quiet shift in my personality. I found myself all that day wanting to say words like "lovely" and "precious." I didn't, because I'm very not used to such words - I'd feel like a dork! But my demeanor seems to have shifted toward such words, if that makes sense.

I do love what being a mother has done to who I am. I will always see room for improvement, but I'm nicer now. Gosh, I hope it shows. I'm afraid it may just be in my heart and not yet spilling over where others can benefit from it. Maybe it's a gradual thing. I hope it keeps swelling up though.
__________
By the way, something has gone wrong with the guppies. Something that looks like fungus is growing in the aquarium. Whether it's related or not, I don't know, but many of the guppies have died. The father and the entire first set of babies is gone now. Anti-Yoda had another set of 7 and they're down to 3. The remaining 4 fish are in individual jars and getting daily 50% water changes. I'm taking the aquarium completely apart and disinfecting it. Groan. (And theoretically, I should be packing boxes.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home