The Lockenessmonsters

'Cause I don't like mass emails.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

89 Baby Guppies!


Remember all those feeder guppies we got 4ish months ago? One survived, a male. Feeder guppies are tiny. That's Twit.

We put him in the tank with our one remaining female guppy. She's a typical guppy, instead of a feeder. Much larger. That's Teenager. (One of Anti-Yoda's 3 daughters.)

The idea behind putting them together was to breed them. But Twit was so aggressive, we put him in his own little fish bowl weeks ago. We thought the project had failed.

Yesterday, I thought something was wrong with Mr. Snail and looked closer - a baby fish was hiding behind him.

At first, I thought our herd of neons, who we bought 48 hours before, had had babies. But they're egg-layers, and that teeny fish was decidedly a guppy.

We currently have 89 baby guppies in the baby net, hanging on the side of the tank. Each is the size of a mosquito larvae. That's half the size of any baby guppy I've had before. Must take after their father.

They actually look like mosquito larvae too. Not to worry. The picture above is of a feeder guppy. They'll likely look similar once grown.

When we tried to breed these 2, we were thinking of a normal guppy litter of 6-10. But I guess when the female's 10 times larger than the male, more fit.

We're both having a blast counting. David's as enthralled as I am.

~~~

Teenager is healthy and of good stock. But feeders are notorious for genetic problems and short life spans. I hope a lot survive. Their father, after all, is fine.

I can safely have 40 of them in the tank as adults, though it'll take extra up-keep. If all else fails, we kept a 10 gallon tank with a crack in the top, which we could use as a 5 gallon fish bowl. Besides, there's a plethora of kids at church. Parents beware.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home